Re: REB: Merit

From: Mike Lowe <mlowe@worldiris.com>

<x-rich>Sterling Okase writes...

>...I found two rebloom stalks coming up a couple of weeks ago. ... one on a

>newly acquired MTB...named Merit... Merit put up a remarkably graceful
>stalk >with branching and re-branching. And the leaves are small, thin and
>equally >graceful and healthy.

For years there has been only one reliable, country-wide, reblooming MTB,
Lady Emma (F. Jones '86). Down side; under excellent culture L.E. will
throw a stalk and flower that puts her out of the MTB class. And yet, Lady
Emma will prosper and rebloom while growing in a crack in a sidewalk.

In rummaging into the background of Merit (K. Fisher 86), I find the H. P.
Sass cultivar, Pixie (H.P. Sass 32), in three places in the 5th generation.
Nearly half the pedigree is missing or un-notated seedlings in the sixth
generation, thus the only sure rebloom factor I can find is Pixie.

Has Merit rebloomed for any other listers besides Sterling?

Mike,  mlowe@worldiris.com   --   http://www.worldiris.com

South Central Virginia, USA; USDA Zone 7A, pH-5.4, very sandy loam

190 to 205 frost free growing days per year</x-rich>

Mike, http://www.worldiris.com