Re: mailing pollen (was REB: Merit)

From: Ann Pearce <jac@senet.com.au>

Hi everyone,

>Sterling Okase wrote:
> Does anyone know what the agricultural laws are regarding sending
>pollen to Australia? I am thinking if it does not rain here that I can
>save the pollen and send it to the Aussies to use. They have such strict
>postal laws regarding importing of plant material that they have
>difficulty getting the newer USA varieties to play with, particularly
>the SA varieties. Since they are now only in their dwarf season, they
>might get the pollen in time to spread on their on their TBs, ARs and
>ABs. Can I mail pollen to Australia without getting myself thrown in
>prison? Anyone out there know? I would hate to have a large, hairy cell
>mate to wake up to each morning.......EVEN for the sake of Irishood.

I don't know if there are any US laws to prevent you sending pollen or seeds
out of the country, but the Australian import restrictions are much more
likely to affect the recipient than the sender.  I rang Quarantine today,
and they said that the restrictions on pollen are similar to those for
seeds, i.e. you must declare the contents on the envelope, and each type
must be in a separate, clearly labelled packet.  As long as you do that, it
should be fine.

So, is there anyone else out there expecting rebloom who'd be happy to post
some pollen to Australia?

Ann Pearce.....hoping she's one of the Aussies on Sterling's list.

Adelaide, South Australia