Re: Cultivar-specific Black thumbs

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

>> Confession time: Does anyone else out there routinely kill one
specific famously good garden iris? I think to qualify as a Black Thumb
for such a plant, you must have tried to grow it at least twice and
>> celia

I haven't been in irises long enough to know, but I have managed to kill
bamboo with neglect, and that's some feat. (I've also managed to burn
boiled eggs!)
On the topic of Verbena I have a V. venosa which has a lovely bright
purple flower which fades leaving showy reddish bracts. The leaf is
greyish and the plant very drought tolerant, and it sends out runners,
which you can cut and transplant or give to friends. Then later you
discover that it sends out runners everywhere, even UNDERNEATH your iris
rz's to pop up on the other side. Now I like this plant, but think I may
have to get rid of it before it becomes the local equivalent of Kudzu.
Cheers, Jan Clark, Victoria, Australia (where there's no gas, and no
bread, probably for the rest of the week, after a Natural gas plant went
'badaboom' on Saturday)