Re: LA: Hardiness of

From: "heather & bernard pryor" <irishaven@pip.com.au>

>     If any of our members know of anyone having success with Louisianas in
>England, The Netherlands, or maybe Tasmania or similar climates, I hope
>they let us know.
>
>Mark A. Cook
>billc@atlantic.net
>Dunnellon, Florida.

Dear Mark,

I can provide some information about growing La.s in Tasmania and England
which may be of interest to Jan in Denmark.

We regularly send our La's to Tasmania and not just Tassy, but to the south
of Tassy at that!  Likewise, we have some of our La's growing in Cheshire in
England.  The secret is to mulch them very well against the worst of the
coldest weather.  In Cheshire our friends grow them in beds covered with 10"
of oak leaf mulch.  They survive quite nicely, thank you, and bloom too.
The Tassy customers have taken this advice also, and I believe the majority
of them grow their La's under a lot of protective mulch with success.

I hope that this is of interest to Jan and Mark.

P.S. Tasmania is an island state of Australia and is located below the
"roaring forties".  The state capital is Hobart, which is located at the
southern end of the island is equal in latitude to Wellington in NZ.   I
have also visited a large Iris garden just north of Wellington where they
grow La's with great success (again, under lots of protective mulch) and
have good friends who live in Wellington itself and can grow La's well too.

Cheers for now,  Heather Pryor   irishaven@pip.com.au