CULT: growing iris indoors and under sheds

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: CULT: growing iris indoors and under sheds
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 08:00:53 -0700

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

> I vaguely remember you were experimenting with growing Blyth irises
> (Electrique and something else) under cover. How is that going?
> Jan Clark, Australia

The one I kept indoors all winter was EURYTHMIC (which I have to retype
about 4 times - will call it EUR. henceforth!).  It had put on a lot of
increase, looked very good, but did not bloom in the spring (not enough
chill?).  Mistakenly thinking it was the rollercoaster freezes that kill
it, I planted it out in the intensive care rebloomer bed near the house
after freezes were over, so I could keep a close eye on it.  It was
doing quite well until after a prolongued period of drought (temps in
the mid to upper 90's F) followed by 2 or more inches of rain over
several days.  Within a few days after the rain, it rotted bigtime.  I
rescued the remaining living parts (no clorox treatment) and planted
them/it just inside a high shed that is open along one side with the
roof shedding water on the opposite side.  Last time I checked it was
still alive, but VERY unhappy.   I may buy another start to see what it
takes to keep this dude alive.

ELECTRIQUE is new this year - it is growing like a weed so far in the
intensive care rebloomer bed.  It's one that Walter Moores said has done
well for him, so maybe it will live without fussing around too much.

After checking pedigrees of some others, I bought several more
experimental Blyth plantings.  Plus Lowell Baumunk sent me one or two as
bonuses to try.  Will post how they do next spring.  After reading
SOSTENIQUE's pedigree, I want to try it again, maybe plant it somewhere
other than under the walnut tree this time!

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA