Re: Cultivar-specific Black thumbs

From: Paul & Yvonne Tyerman <tyerman@dynamite.com.au>

>Cheers, Jan Clark, Victoria, Australia (where there's no gas, and no
>bread, probably for the rest of the week, after a Natural gas plant went
>'badaboom' on Saturday)

Australia is starting to feel a little "Third World".  Last month it was
Sydney with no drinkable water (contaminated with a virus), and this week
its most of one of our States (Victoria) with 80% of its Gas supply up the
creek without the proverbial paddle.

Good luck Jan.  I hope things don't drag on too long.  At least it won't
affect the irises (See there is a silver lining in every cloud)

Cheers 	Paul Tyerman (Canberra, Australia) - Where the dutch irises are in
full bloom, the daffodils are just finishing, and the (supposedly) pink
wisteria, that hasn't flowered in the four years that its been in, is
setting up flowers for the first time (something like 40 racaemes).
Hellebores are in full bloom and the polyanthus are spectacular.  The
Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata) is about to burst into full bloom
and the Pleione orchids are sending up buds like mad.  The blossom trees
are in full bloom or just finishing and our magnificent Magnolia
soulangiana has just finished.  The tulips are wonderful and the Ranunculus
are starting their annual show.  My first Pacific Coast Iris should be
flowering within a couple of days and the Iris cristata should be in bloom
within a fortnight.  Aint Spring grand!!!!!

Cheers from wonderful Australia.  Spring has definitely sprung.