mailing pollen (was REB: Merit)

From: "Sterling Okase" <sterling_o@hotmail.com>

Ann Pearce wrote:

>I don't know if there are any US laws to prevent you sending pollen or
>out of the country, but the Australian import restrictions are much
>likely to affect the recipient than the sender.  I rang Quarantine
>and they said that the restrictions on pollen are similar to those for
>seeds, i.e. you must declare the contents on the envelope, and each
>must be in a separate, clearly labelled packet.  As long as you do
that, it
>should be fine.

So I called our local Agricultrual Department and they did not seem to
know what the laws are regarding sending of pollen. They only knew about
sending actual plants. They said if there was difficulty getting the
pollen through postal inspections, it would be on the recipient's end,
as Ann said. So with the great advise I have gotten from the listers, I
am going to try to send them some SA RE pollen to use on their later
blooming irises.
Iris Maniac,
Sterling (not Innerst)
Seattle, WA. Zone 8