CULT: Serial Killers

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Celia Story wrote:

>  Confession time: Does anyone else out there routinely kill one specific
>  famously good garden iris? I think to qualify as a Black Thumb for such
>  plant, you must have tried to grow it at least twice and failed.

In this case, I'm withholding the name to protect the guilty.....

Some 15 to 20 years ago, one of my trading buddies bemoaned his lack of
success in growing ESTHER, THE QUEEN -- so always kept her on his 'wish
list'.  Yet, THREE times during that same period, he sent me EQ labeled as
something else.

We finally figured out that he'd been expecting her to perform like the
older ABs he grew, with very tight clumps.  When he checked her location
and found the spot where he'd planted her was empty, he concluded that he'd
killed her again.   But EQ has more open growth habits than he was
accustomed to -- much like I. korolkowii, although she doesn't travel as
far as most TBs.  In beds he'd left undug too long, EQ's old-fashioned
neighbors succumbed and she expanded into their locations.

The moral of this story [and there always is one]  is that iris perform
according to their own standards, NOT our expectations.

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com