SPEC: Louisianans

From: "Ian E. & Shirley Efford" <avocet.intl@sympatico.ca>

Jan asked about growing Louisianans in Denmark.  We are much colder than
you here, in Ottawa, I have Dorothea K. Williamson and I.hexagona
over-wintering, flowering, and setting seed. I know that Sandy and
Maureen, who live just around the corner, grow DKW.

I do not know about summer heat.  We are not as warm as Mark suggests is
necessary for these species.  Our continuous highs would be rearer to
25-30 than 35.  Probably, not too different from Denmark.

 In my experience, doubt the stories that plants will not grow in your
region until you have tried them!  If they die, then try again starting
from seed and, often, they will do quite well.

As to your earlier request for sources of some of the newer irises from
China, I do not grow the ones you mentioned but would be interested in
learning about any source that you discover.  I am slowly building a
reference collection of species and still have quite a few gaps to fill!
Warning, once you get them, check the identification as many such irises
are mis-identified.

Ian, in Ottawa