Re: OT-BIO: Martha Brown

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

Martha Brown wrote:
>         (2) I use Osmocote 14-14-14 on lawn and perennial beds because my soil
> tests were deficient in all three areas.  Apparently I don't have enough
> clay in my soil to bind any nutrients or hold water.  Should I do something
> different for Iris?

You didn't say if this was a timed release fertilizer or not. I would think
that in your soil a timed release would be a good idea since nutrients wash
through so fast.

Whenever I redig a bed, I add Nutracote 13-13-13 270 day timed release. I like
Nutracote better than Osmacote because it has a more uniform release rate over
a broader temperature range than Osmacote. I think they are made by the same
company. The numbers aren't all that important as long as they are the same.
For instance, if you had a 20-20-20 you would just use proportionally less.

John Jones
To reply to me personally click on
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.

Subscribe to iris-talk at: