LA: Louisianas in cooler climates.

From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>

> I do not know about summer heat.  We are not as warm as Mark suggests is
> necessary for these species.  Our continuous highs would be rearer to
> 25-30 than 35.  Probably, not too different from Denmark.

Ian, Jan, Heather, and all,
     My statement about the summer heat was about the conditions in the
areas in which the Louisiana Iris species grow.  I know they would grow in
areas with less heat, but I did not know the range of them in terms of cool
summers.  I know they can take brutal cold to some extent in the winter.
     Now that I know they are grown in Tasmania and England (cool summer
climates), I would consider them to  be well worth trying in Denmark.  Go
for it Jan!!  As for cold hardiness, when I lived in Kentucky, I had
Louisianas to survive temperatures into the -30's C in the frost patch
where I lived.

Mark A. Cook
billc@atlantic.net
Dunnellon, Florida.