Re: Newbie Question on new Irises

From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>

Sey12@aol.com wrote:
> From: Sey12@aol.com
> Hi Folks-
> This is Suzanne in zone 5, Illinois and I'm wondering if any of you can tell
> me anything about the 6 new Irises I just planted.
>   And unfortunately, of the 6, only one,  'Edith Wolford,'
> is mentioned in the only Iris book I have (the Grosvenor book), and even then,
> the only information offered is:  "has yellow standards and violet-blue
> falls."

That's a pretty good description of EW. The colors are pastel enough that they
don't clash. In many places she is not a great grower, but she won the Dykes
Medal. Many of us find her very lovely, and she even reblooms once in a while.

> I'm definitely going to have to get some catalogs for a better selection.  In
> the meantime, the 6 I have are:
> Batik

This one is generally referred to by first-time seers as "Come here and look at
this one!" It is white and purple, with the colors in irregular splotches.
Registered as a BB, it often grows to TB height. Very striking.

> China Dragon

Deep oramge

> Edith Wolford
> Spartan

Dark red

> Chinese Treasure

Standards whith with pink infusion; falls bluish pink with orange beards

> Study in Black

Very dark
> I hope at least some of these are real beauties!

I think you will be pleased.

Gerry, ready to plant the last of my '98 acquisitions Real Soon Now
mailto:gcsnyd@loop.com    AIS Region 15
Warm, winterless Los Angeles
President of San Fernando Valley Iris Society