TB:REB:HYB: Tennessee irises

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: TB:REB:HYB: Tennessee irises
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 06:29:34 -0700

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

> I know of a few rebloomers growing in the Chattanooga area.  Remember
> Tennessee is an iris state.  Don't you have the iris license plate?  Low Ho
> Silver does well in South Carolina. Claire Honkanen, Isle 0f Palms,SC

Thanks for the encouragement Claire.  Yes, I do have an iris license
plate.  Unfortunately, Tennessee became the iris state back in the
1930s? before all the hybridizers "moved" to more favorable climates for
the delicate little inbred babies.  We Tennesseeans may have to get busy
and develop our own lines of mid-continental southeastern rollercoaster
freeze resistant TBs.  Are any of the folks in Chattanooga doing any
pollen daubing?  Phil Williams had some pods on rebloomers tagged at his
place in middle Tennessee, so maybe he will come up with some good stuff
for us in a few years.

I just learned that Tom Parkhill, another one of our local club members,
is going to introduce two of his once blooming seedlings.  He has been
making crosses for years, but these are his first introductions, tho he
has a wonderful 60s style dark blue plicata that he shoulda introduced
years ago.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA