From: Paul & Yvonne Tyerman <tyerman@dynamite.com.au>

At 11:32 28/09/98 -0500, you wrote:
>From: koekkoek@dordt.edu (Arnold Koekkoek)
>I must add to the 4 steps outlined by irisborer (Kathy Guest) regarding
>tolerating non-bloom in a rhizome?  Step 3 must include more than a mere
>shaking of the shovel, or perhaps this could become a new stop 4, thus
>lengthening the years of grade.  There must be a clear confrontation:
>"If ya don't bloom, I'm gonna dump ya!"  THEN, the next year you DO
>IT!!!!  There could also be an intermediate threat-followed-
>by-action:  "If ya don't bloom this year, I'll stick ya in the back row
>of the garden, where nobody will ever admire anything ya do!!!@!  Both
>have been known to work.  In either case, Kathy's right.  You have to
>show them who's boss.

This worked for me this year with a Wisteria I've had for 4 years.
Threatened it 3 times during winter and it is covered in flowers.  All I
asked it for was One raceme of flowers, just to confirm it was the colour I
originally bought (pink) but it got the hint and there's 50 odd racemes.

Sorry this is off topic, but it DEFINITELY supports the "threatening irises
to make them flower" theory

Cheers.				Paul Tyerman (Australia)