articles | gallery of plants | blog | plant profiles | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
16 year-old girls increase crop production 74%

First open-source seeds released!

International Garden Photographer of the Year winners

Many gardeners attribute success to luck, not skill

RSS story archive

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

Salvia deadheading/pruning

With most Salvia spp. I deadhead for tidiness when there are more spent
flowers
than new ones. I generally wait to do real pruning until I see some signs of
buds breaking-different times of year for different spp. Keep a watch around
the
base of the plant and when you see good buds go for it. These may emerge
from a
woody base or if it's a rhizomatous sp.,from the soil. With Salvias I am
wary of
pruning hard unless I see this evidence of an eminent growth spurt,or unless
absolutely know the sp will grow well after hard pruning.