Dry/wet cycles help pitcher plants catch more prey

RSS story archive

ground cover for shade and light foot traffic

  • Subject: ground cover for shade and light foot traffic
  • From: barbara sargent rsgt@california.com
  • Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 11:25:06 -0800

>> > I am gradually converting--or trying to convert--my small area of grass
>> > over to achillea. It's been quite successful in the sunnier part but the
>> > more shaded area has more weed grasses than achillea.
>> >
>> > Is there a ground cover which would take the same amount of foot
>traffic,
>> > blend with the achillea and tolerate more shade?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > -Barbara - in Berkeley CA
>> >
>> Dear Barbara,
>>
>>      I have had luck with Fragaria californica, Woodland Strawberry in the
>> situation that you describe.  Satureja douglasii, Yerba Buena would work
>as
>> well, but is slow growing, taking years to really establish it's self.  It
>> is very nice mixed with the strawberries though, and worth the wait.
>>      Violets would work.  The native Dog Violet, Viola adunca is a nice
>> choice.  Many other species of violet are good choices as well.  If there
>is
>> not too much traffic, I like Polemoniums and Campanulas.  Omphalodes
>> cappadocica is fun but wouldn't look very good if stepped on.
>>
>>      Regards, Tim Kalman
>>      In El Cerrito, California

Hi Tim,

Thanks very much.Those are some interesting choices. I have violets all
over the place and they are huge and invasive. I doubt that they're the
Viola Adunca so I'll investigate that one as well as the strawberry and and
Yerba Buena. I don't know what Polemoniums are so I'll look at those too. I
have campanula carpatica (sp?) in several places but I don't know if they'd
survive in this area.

Barbara