Sony scientist 3D-prints gardens

Inside theft of world's rarest water lily

Ash borers targeting other ash family members

Record-setting 2096-lb pumpkin grown in Switzerland

16 year-old girls increase crop production 74%

First open-source seeds released!

RSS story archive

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

Propagation: Banksia and Euphorbia mellifera

I'm writing on behalf of the propagator at Gamble Garden in Palo Alto (a
small public garden), who is interested in propagating some Banksia
serrata from seed and Euphorbia mellifera from cuttings.

I believe the pod of Banksia seeds she has is from a plant that holds
its seeds closed until they're exposed to heat, so we were told to hold
them over a barbecue grill until they open. The question then is, what
next? Does anyone know what kind of soil and water regimen will
encourage the banksia seeds to sprout, once they've been roasted? If you
happen to know that B. serrata seeds never need roasting, that would
also be a good thing to tell us. ;)

Regarding the Euphorbia mellifera, we have one in the garden and would
like to propagate it so as to offer it for sale. Does anyone have any
suggestions for propagating this species?

Thanks,
Cheryl

Cheryl Renshaw
Santa Clara, California (Silicon Valley)
cheryl@wr-architect.com