articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Record-setting 2096-lb pumpkin grown in Switzerland

16 year-old girls increase crop production 74%

First open-source seeds released!

International Garden Photographer of the Year winners

RSS story archive

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

Re: Shade, Gopher Resistance

I imagine finding plants that do well in shade is the hard part of your task.  I would try keeping the gophers well fed on poisonous gopher bait.

One might look for plants in the Colchicaceae family - Gloriosa is probably one that would tolerate a bit of shade.  The best example, Colchicum, is, however, a sun-lover.
Generally, one should look for lists of poisonous plants (like euhporbs), and try to find among them plants that both do well in shade and have flowers.
Cestrum and Brugsmansia are said to be poisonous, but I don't know about the roots.  Aconitum is said to have poisonous roots.
Dicentra, Rhododendron, and Ziagademas are all said to have poisonous roots, although Zigademas may have a hard time in the shade.

Just becase the roots may be poisonous to humans and catle, is, however, no guarantee that gophers will avoid them.  They will certainly avoid Cochicum, the sun-lover.  Maybe one has just to experiment  - plant something that should upset their sotmachs and see if they avoid it.

Richard Starkeson
San Francisco