articles | gallery of plants | blog | plant profiles | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0

First open-source seeds released!

International Garden Photographer of the Year winners

Many gardeners attribute success to luck, not skill

Big, old trees make great carbon sinks

RSS story archive

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

Re: gophers - What they won't eat in Mendocino, California.

I have tons of gophers being surrounded on three sides by
forest land.  They do not seem to eat the following plants:
salvia, lavendula, berberis, rosemary, thyme, geranium,
lavetera, cistus, ceonothus, rhododendron, azalea, pieris
japonica, hosta, hydrangea, diascia, dianthus, asters,
ajuga, corydalis, digitalis, gaura, campanula, narcissus,
penstemon, nepeta, echium, acontium, alstromeria, sedum,
scabiosa, hypericum, sambucus, viburnum, brunnera, abutilon,
leycestria formosa, erica, calluna, artemesia, astilbe,
verbascum, kniphofia, verbena.  I have several different
varieties of many of the above and the gophers don't seem to
bother any of them. (I may have spelling errors as I didn't
look all these up and I am an extremely poor speller)

I have quite a lot of other plants that they won't eat but I
have to do a tour of the beds to remember what is there.

Gophers will absolutely clean out tulips, roses, dahlias,
and most vegetables. They seem to like all fleshy root
plants that aren't poisonous.   I have to grow all of those
in raised bed lined with wire.
--
Sue McNeill
USDA Zone 9 Sunset Zone 17