articles | gallery of plants | blog | plant profiles | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0

International Garden Photographer of the Year winners

Many gardeners attribute success to luck, not skill

Big, old trees make great carbon sinks

Tomato gene tweaked to lengthen growing season

Emerald ash borer may have predator

Tires to be made from dandelions

RSS story archive

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

Re: Preem/Preen

Valerie Lowery@ZEON
04/07/99 12:59 PM

So, am I to assume that Preen works only on those weeds coming from seeds?
What about those growing from runners or taproots?  The problem in my
garden is those pesky weeds that run rampant underground and come up in the
middle of your perennial clumps.

Right now I'm pulling by hand and it's not getting the job done to my
satisfaction.  I'm still pulling mint, some kind of weed that has a yellow
tufted flower with lime green leaves that grew from some not-so-rotten
manure I spread out (it's underground runners are tough suckers with roots
about the thickness of a #2 pencil), and a tenacious, foul-smelling,
trailing vine that creeps along overnight it seems.  I'd also like to get
rid of some monarda, obedient plant, and lysimachia -- but that's another
post.

Val in KY
zone 6a