Dry/wet cycles help pitcher plants catch more prey

RSS story archive

Re: correction

> The yarrow is Achillea millefolium.  I was sort of too lazy last night to
> check these spellings and sources so got it wrong.  Bob you are herbalist?
> You often have interesting information on garden plants.  I have been growing
> various yarrow in alpine forms and none have the vigor of millefolium.  Next
> year I am going to put a few field plants into a border where there is some
> moisture and fertilize them.  A little experiment as I find the the hybrids
> floppy, wan in color and short lived.  This millefolium has very beautiful
> ferny foliage when not field grown and it has very strong stems.

Just to throw some confusion into the fray, Achillea lanulosa is a native
yarrow that looks almost exactly the same as Achillea millefolium (some
references list it as A. millefolium ssp. lanulosa).  If I remember correctly,
Swink & Wilhelm say in their "Plants of the Chicago Region" that the only
way to tell the two apart is through chromosomal counts.

So...  Maybe you're growing a native after all.  :)

Chris