Dry/wet cycles help pitcher plants catch more prey

RSS story archive

Re: correction

  • Subject: Re: correction
  • From: ECPep@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:58:19 EDT

In a message dated 8/29/01 12:45:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lindsey@mallorn.com writes:

<< Just to throw some confusion into the fray, Achillea lanulosa is a native
 yarrow that looks almost exactly the same as Achillea millefolium (some
 references list it as A. millefolium ssp. lanulosa).  If I remember
correctly,
 Swink & Wilhelm say in their "Plants of the Chicago Region" that the only
 way to tell the two apart is through chromosomal counts.

 So...  Maybe you're growing a native after all.  :) >>

Chris,

I saw that when I checked the A. millefolium and thought I better not be too
esoteric on Achillea and had not the faintest idea who would know about A.
lanulosa.  So here is a knower of the two.   The question would now be, have
you seen the true native and is it worth a search.  It seems to be described
as a western native.

Achillea in this white unimproved form is a very strong grower and useful in
many areas of the garden.  If you have dry poor soil area, it will do fine
and stay in place for years.  It was the change in form and size that
originally interested me.

Claire Peplowski
NYS z4