articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Record-setting 2096-lb pumpkin grown in Switzerland

16 year-old girls increase crop production 74%

First open-source seeds released!

International Garden Photographer of the Year winners

RSS story archive

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

Creasote Poisoning: RAILROAD TIES

Meum71 wrote:

> << my experience, the plants in the beds bordered with railroad ties grew
>  very poorly.  Plants in redwood bordered beds right next to the railroad
>  ties thrived.  I'll never use railroad ties (the true ones that are
>  preserved with creosote) again.
>   >>
>  yes creosale leeks from the ties and can poisen plants around them-- I had
> some Aegopodium podagraria 'Variegatum' next to a treat telophone pole ans
> some of the plants reverted back to green because of the poisening and this
> plant is a pain!!!!!!!! to say it kindly!!!!
I have a book that is a professional reference for commercial growers.
In it, it states that one creasote treated board in a greenhouse can
deform foliage throughout the entire range.
It the fumes.
It's a REAL disservice for home & garden centers to sell those things to
the unknowing public.
--
The Greenhouse Nursery
81 S. Bagley Creek Road & Hwy 101