articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Sony scientist 3D-prints gardens

Inside theft of world's rarest water lily

Ash borers targeting other ash family members

Record-setting 2096-lb pumpkin grown in Switzerland

16 year-old girls increase crop production 74%

First open-source seeds released!

RSS story archive

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

Re: Late summer/fall flowers/helianthus maximus

Gary, I'm glad you mentioned helianthus maximus. I ordered one plant last
year, from High Country Gardens out of Santa Fe, NM. It was just a piddly
little thing that I stuck in between some rudbeckias and ornamental
grasses. But by late September---WOW! I think that the stems were at least
six feet tall, and the flowers were wonderful. No photo I've seen does
justice to this great plant. This spring, I moved it to an area where it
won't be crowded by other plants. It deserves to be shown off as a
specimen. I've read that it can be spready, but that's OK with me.

Myrna, Zone 3, Montana

(snip)