articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Record-setting 2096-lb pumpkin grown in Switzerland

16 year-old girls increase crop production 74%

First open-source seeds released!

International Garden Photographer of the Year winners

RSS story archive

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

RE: peonies & voles

Does anyone know if voles will eat peony roots? Should I plant them in a
'basket' of hardware cloth like I have to do my bulbs?
Julia,  Raleigh, Z7

I don't know whether voles eat peonies.  They don't eat mine but that's not
a fair test.  This is a big yard with acres of adjacent bush and three cats
to protect the cultivated territory near the house.   Something
ate/killed/stole all the species tulips I tried to naturalize in a woodsy
edge.

But I wonder how a hardware cloth basket would work for peonies.  I
accidentally sliced a chunk off a peony root last week and decided to dig up
the whole thing and move it.   It was huge.  I was just amazed.  The plant
had been in for at least 7 years.  It was well established when I got here.

You'd need a very big basket.

:-)

Donna.