Dry/wet cycles help pitcher plants catch more prey

RSS story archive

in vitro tissue culture and native plants

  • Subject: in vitro tissue culture and native plants
  • From: "J. A. Raasch" <jaraasch@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 10:39:16 -0500

Hello,

I received a message from a student interested in using in vitro
tissue culture for propagating a native Wisconsin plant. I have no
more detail, except that she doesn't want to repeat work already done
by someone else. I think this sort of work is being done to preserve
orchids . I'll do some more investigating for her, but in the mean
time...

(1) Can anyone suggest a plant that is difficult to propagate by seed
and might be preserved by in vitro vegetative propagation?

(2) Is anyone aware of a review or bibliography that might help this
student find out what has already been done or might need to be done
as far as tissue culture of native plants is concerned?

Thank you.

John