articles | gallery of plants | blog | plant profiles | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
First open-source seeds released!

International Garden Photographer of the Year winners

Many gardeners attribute success to luck, not skill

Big, old trees make great carbon sinks

Tomato gene tweaked to lengthen growing season

Emerald ash borer may have predator

RSS story archive

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

in vitro tissue culture and native plants

Hello,

I received a message from a student interested in using in vitro
tissue culture for propagating a native Wisconsin plant. I have no
more detail, except that she doesn't want to repeat work already done
by someone else. I think this sort of work is being done to preserve
orchids . I'll do some more investigating for her, but in the mean
time...

(1) Can anyone suggest a plant that is difficult to propagate by seed
and might be preserved by in vitro vegetative propagation?

(2) Is anyone aware of a review or bibliography that might help this
student find out what has already been done or might need to be done
as far as tissue culture of native plants is concerned?

Thank you.

John