articles | gallery of plants | blog | plant profiles | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
First open-source seeds released!

International Garden Photographer of the Year winners

Many gardeners attribute success to luck, not skill

Big, old trees make great carbon sinks

Tomato gene tweaked to lengthen growing season

Emerald ash borer may have predator

RSS story archive

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

Strange? black bugs

Hi List,

I have a couple of questions. First I have noticed thousands of little black
specks under various leaves. They look like poppy seeds. Upon closer
inspection some were tiny little bugs that look like aphids, but they are
black. The rest were probably eggs? I live in Seattle, does anyone know what
these are?  I sprayed insecticide and cut off most of the infected leaves, is
there anything else I should do? Also I have had 2 pumpkins grow very fast 3-4
inches in Circumference a day (fast to me) then once they got to 40 inches
they stopped and started to get  flat spots. I have one that is 50" and still
growing, but any day I feel it will stop. Is this just my plant? Weird
genetics? Any ideas or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian Landreville
Seattle, WA