articles | gallery of plants | blog | plant profiles | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0

First open-source seeds released!

International Garden Photographer of the Year winners

Many gardeners attribute success to luck, not skill

Big, old trees make great carbon sinks

Tomato gene tweaked to lengthen growing season

RSS story archive

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

Re: wild fescue.............

Hi Glenn.

Depending on where you are located you may be still able to spray the whole
area with Round-up. This is assuming you are somewhere where it is not
winter yet. As long as the grass is still actively growing you can nuke it
with Round-up. I sprayed a section of my backlawn with the intentions of
increasing my garden area next year with Round-up in late October here in
the Ottawa Valley. Unfortunately the growing season was pretty much winding
down at that time and it did not seem to work. The weather needs to be
decent (above 60 degrees I would guess) and within 2 weeks every living
thing will be dead-dead! The nice thing about Round-up is that there is no
lasting residual effect. Once everything is dead (about 2 weeks) plow er
under and plant whatever you want. Keep in mind that it only kills what is
actively growing, and if you have annual weed seeds in the soil they will
not be effected. The only thing it kills are plants that the spray comes
into contact with. Interestingly enough I sprayed another section at the
farm about 2 weeks before I did the little section in my back yard, and mind
you it was nicer weather at that time it browned everything up real good. So
it is highly dependent on the weather and the growing stage of the weeds
targeted.
If winter or cool weather has set in you might be better to wait till
spring, where you can get it sprayed as soon as everything starts greening
up. But I will guarantee it will kill your fescue. I did a small area 2
years ago that was a old barnyard and it had a amazingly healthy quackgrass
problem. Fescue would be a similar situation in that both have amazing
complex root systems with the underground runners. Anyway I sprayed the
quackgrass which was about a foot high at the time and so thick that you
could hardly walk through it at the time with Round-up at about twice
strength with a bit of surfactant to make it stick to the leaves and there
was no sign of quackgrass after that. It goes right down and gets the roots
also.

Glenn Needham