articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Ash borers targeting other ash family members

Record-setting 2096-lb pumpkin grown in Switzerland

16 year-old girls increase crop production 74%

First open-source seeds released!

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

Trying to identify pumpkin variety(ies)

I think you are looking at Rupps seed Catalog.  I will
forward you note to the pumpkin mailing list for
support. You can view the responses via this url
http://www.mallorn.com/lists/pumpkins/jul00

Hey list, do you know of this type of pumpkin?  Sounds
like a squash.

Duncan
--- Tony and Julie Howell <tjhowell@bellsouth.net>
wrote:
> hello -   a few years back i bought a pumpkin from
> an old gentleman at
> the farmers market that had a brownish or tanish
> color to the skin.  it
> wasn't the usual bright orange-skinned pumpkins i'd
> bought before.  he
> said it would make wonderful pies (which it did).
> when i cut it open
> the flesh was a dark, rich red-orange; cutting into
> the pumpkin was very
> easy and mashing the cooked meat was REALLY easy;
> it mashed up with a
> potato masher rather than having to use a food
> processor like i'd had to
> do with the "jack-o-lantern" type pumpkins.  the
> next year, when i went
> to buy more of these pumpkins, the old gentleman
> wasn't there.
>
> i've since had to find my "special" pumpkins by
> driving as far north as
> waycross, georgia, or getting them in north carolina
> when we've been on
> vacation in the fall.  i plant the seeds and they've
> grown and produced
> a few pumpkins, but the pumpkins are not usually as
> large as their
> "parents".  i don't know if trying to grow them in
> our extended florida
> heat and rainy season has any effect on that or not.
>  i'm also not sure
> how many pumpkins will grow on each vine.
>
> for years all i've been able to get from people as
> far as the names of
> these pumpkin varieties is: cow pumpkins, field
> pumpkins or

"those-old-punkins-that-used-to-grow-in-the-corn-patch".