articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Sony scientist 3D-prints gardens

Inside theft of world's rarest water lily

Ash borers targeting other ash family members

Record-setting 2096-lb pumpkin grown in Switzerland

16 year-old girls increase crop production 74%

First open-source seeds released!

RSS story archive

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

Re: How do you tell if a female has been pollinated?

OK, let me try to tell you how to have Pumpkin Sex.
First of all, first thing in the morning go scout out what females are open, then go to another plant if you have more than one and pick off at least 3 male blossoms.
Take the male blossoms over to the female you want to pollinate, then I take off the outer fringe of each blossom.
Once the male blossoms look lite a cone, the I put them over the center of the female blossom and flick them with my finger (tapping them pretty hard)
After I get done with the first two I strip the rest of the pedals off and use the center of the male blossom and gently wipe the rest of the pollen onto the center of the female blossom (spreading it around, softly).
For the third blossom I repeat the process and flick the pollen onto the female and just leave the male blossom beside the female when I am done.
I let the bee's have their way from there on. They spread pollen better than I ever could.
To make a long story short!
If the bee's did a good job on their own, the pumpkin will start to grow. If the pumpkin wasn't pollinated all the way you will end up with on lop sided pumpkin. Or No Pumpkin at all!
Good Luck, let me know how it turns out.
Bill Garvey
White Lake, Michigan