articles | gallery of plants | blog | plant profiles | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0

First open-source seeds released!

International Garden Photographer of the Year winners

Many gardeners attribute success to luck, not skill

Big, old trees make great carbon sinks

Tomato gene tweaked to lengthen growing season

RSS story archive

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

Vine Splits

I have found that this technique helps reduce vine splits at the stump,
but it does not eliminate them. The pumpkin vine grow straight up before
bending over. If you place a clod or mound of dirt on the side that the
vine bends, it will help reduce the stress on the vine due to a smaller
bend in the vine. The bend will be about 90 degrees if this is not done.

I usually do not treat a vine split. Most of the time I just cover the
split area with dirt. My first couple of years I treated the splits, but
I found out that it really did not improve the plant anymore than just
covering the split with dirt. It also took a lot of time which I did not
have, so I quit treating the splits.

George Heyne
Rochester, Mn.