Sony scientist 3D-prints gardens

Inside theft of world's rarest water lily

Ash borers targeting other ash family members

Record-setting 2096-lb pumpkin grown in Switzerland

16 year-old girls increase crop production 74%

First open-source seeds released!

RSS story archive

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

Vine Splits

I have found that this technique helps reduce vine splits at the stump,
but it does not eliminate them. The pumpkin vine grow straight up before
bending over. If you place a clod or mound of dirt on the side that the
vine bends, it will help reduce the stress on the vine due to a smaller
bend in the vine. The bend will be about 90 degrees if this is not done.

I usually do not treat a vine split. Most of the time I just cover the
split area with dirt. My first couple of years I treated the splits, but
I found out that it really did not improve the plant anymore than just
covering the split with dirt. It also took a lot of time which I did not
have, so I quit treating the splits.

George Heyne
Rochester, Mn.