Re: Lithodora cuttings

Here's the prescription from LD Hills, PROPAGATION OF ALPINES:
"Propagation is best from soft green cuttings taken [between mid-July and
mid-August].... the cuttings should be 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches long, with
no old wood at the base, the bark pale green, and the shoot .. vigorous
non-flowering stems.. [The donor plants should be watered during June to
produce the cuttings.]  Lithodora responds to "hormodin"... use at the
strength recommended for soft cuttings; the cuttings will be killed by
using the strength recommended for woody cuttings."   Note: rooting
powders should be safe, perhaps not as effective.

The cuttings can be rooted in any suitable medium, I'd recommend using
1/2 peat 1/2 perlite.  Cover the cuttings with polyethylene keep the
medium moist, and protect from direct sun.

Also: I have rooted cuttings taken in late autumn, but I haven't tried
before flowering.   Hills' recommendation for summer cuttings should be
the best.

Loren Russell, Corvallis, OR