Rooting hormones

Dear seeds readers,

   We were very interested to read several letters concerning rooting
hormones.

   We have an intimate knowledge of these product being the US importer of
Rhizopon AA rooting hormones.
Unfortunately many of the letters contained information about rooting
products which were somewhat speculative. Our products are registered with
the US EPA.
All products which are called rooting hormones must be registered if they
are sold in the US. Most other countries have similar laws.

   Unfortunately two of the products listed are not registered in the US:
Hormodin was discontinued two years ago
Clonex is not registered and I believe has never been registered.

   Most rooting hormones available in the US today contain the rooting
hormone IBA.
This is the most used product worldwide and has the most uses.

In a talc dry base they are used by the dry dip method.
Normal concentrations are from 0.1% to 0.8% active ingredient.
There are more limited uses for products which range up to 4.0% active
ingredient.

Liquid applications range from as low as 20ppm to 10000 ppm active
ingredient.
Rhizopon AA Water Soluble Tablets, used to make your own fresh solutions
can be made into solutions using water.
DipNGrow is an alcohol based product. Alcohol can be toxic to plant tissue
if used in high conc.

   NAA, a rooting hormone of similar origin is used for a more limited
number of plants.
IAA, a natural product is only used for tissue culture under highly
controlled conditions.
Another rooting hormons naphalene acetimide, contained in Rootone, is
usually used in one concentration and may not be active enough for more
difficult to root cuttings.

  While many plants cutting will root naturally without aid from additional
rooting hormone the plants which are treated will have uniform symmetric
roots.

  Some rooting hormone products contain fungicides, these are not necessary. Y
ou are better to monitor your growing conditions and use growing agents
such as fungicides, herbicides and pesticides as required.
Rootone and DipNGrow contain additives.
Rhizopon products do not contain additives.