Coconut Fiber for seed starting?

Hello All,

I recently came across bricks of compressed coconut fiber for sale. I am
familiar with this material for other uses (as potting medium for
orchids) but have never considered it for seed starting.

It seems sterile and inert. When the bricks are soaked in water, they
expand into a friable material - granular ground shell mixed with short
coco fibers - that does not pack down and get soggy.

Is there anything in this stuff that inhibits germination? Does it hold
enough moisture?

Thanks for your help.

Joshua