Ginkgo and Crab apple propagation

My first question is about propagating crab apple (Malus, sp.)
cultivars.  Since seeds would be unlikely to come true, I would like to
try cuttings.  Softwood or hardwood?  And what time of year?

In regard to germinating ginkgo seeds, I collected some in the late
fall, cleaned them of their pulp, and placed them in damp sphagnum moss
in a plastic bag in the crisper of my refrigerator where they germinated
in early spring.  Those that had not germinated in the frig by May did
so when I brought the bag out and left it at room temp for a week or so.
--
Don Martinson
dmartin@cdmas.crc.fmlh.edu

"Existing order thrives upon ignorance and lies.
Objective truth and individual reason are feared above all."
- Jimmy Johnson, "Arlo & Janis"