Growing Bauhinia from seeds

All,
       Can anyone give me tips on growing Bauhinia purpurea (Orchid Tree) from
seeds?  After a couple of years of trying to  get them  to germinate, I was
sucessful last spring  to have  one  of   8 seeds  planted   in   jiffy pots
on the highest shelf of  my light stand. When it was large enough to transfer,
I put it in a 4" pot with professional potting mix and gradually exposed it to
the sun  which is very intense here in zone 8b Louisiana. It languished for a
couple  of months and then died. I don't  know why. Can anyone help?

CherrylM
Baker, LA
USDA zone 8b