articles | gallery of plants | blog | plant profiles | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0

First open-source seeds released!

International Garden Photographer of the Year winners

Many gardeners attribute success to luck, not skill

Big, old trees make great carbon sinks

RSS story archive

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

RE: Liquid Rooting hormone versus powder

Dear Steve

Thank you for your comments on the seeds list.

One of the advantages of the spray or total immerse method (liquid) is that
the buds will be somewhat inhibited.  The plant is putting its energy into
strong root formation instead of stem and bud growth. You might try the
total immerse method if you are doing lots of cuttings. In our mum
propagation facilities they prefer to use the spray drip down. The pot rose
growers prefer the total immerse. In my experience if you have a larger leaf
(ie: geramium) that is difficult to cover with liquid then total immerse.

see: http://www.rooting-hormones.com/wst.htm

To answer Duncans question about the use of powder or liquid it entirely
depends upon the plant variety and the time of the year. For more woody
plants the dry dip has a longer time  for action (ie: delayed) ... this is
ideal for the rhodis, holly, rose root stock etc (ie: J and P, Fisher,
Hines). In the winter the chrysamthemum growers (ie: Yoder, California
Plant, Lyrafor) use Rhizopon AA #1 but in the summer they prefer the
Rhizopon AA Water Soluble Tablets by total immerse or spray.

see: http://www.rooting-hormones.com/drydip.htm

Honestly we have no axe to grind but personally I prefer the liquid for
herbaceous and tropical plants and the dry dip for the more hardwood. We
have done many tests side by side and it is quite difficult to see a
difference especially for the younger cuttings.

From a standpoint of economy the dry dip method is less costly for material
especially if you are doing may differnet types of cuttings at the same time
... you can easily switch from one conc to another instantly. For mass
production the labor saving is to the advantage of the solution. Also with
solution you can mix the rooting hormones with other growth agents ...
fungicides, herbicides, fertilizer ... in one step.

For more inforation about the differences

see: http://www.rooting-hormones.com/FAQ.htm
and: http://www.rooting-hormones.com/plntlist.htm

regards
Joel Kroin

PO Box 1956 Old Chelsea Sta., New York NY 10113 USA
     US Importer of Rhizopon Rooting Hormones
  *******  http://www.rooting-hormones.com ******