articles | gallery of plants | blog | plant profiles | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0

First open-source seeds released!

International Garden Photographer of the Year winners

Many gardeners attribute success to luck, not skill

Big, old trees make great carbon sinks

Tomato gene tweaked to lengthen growing season

RSS story archive

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

Re: Sprouting Rosa rugosa seeds

From: Eric Bina <ebina@meer.net>

> Anyone have any advice on getting rose seeds to sprout?
> I have never had success in the past with seeds from multiflora
> roses.  I've tried 6 week stratification and nicking the seeds
> neither has worked.

>From my website:     Rosa multiflora    WC 7 d, 40-70-40-70

The cryptic coding above means:
Vigorously wash the seeds three times per day for 7 days, then
sow @ 40F for 3 months, followed by 3 months @ 70F, followed
by 3 months @ 40F, and upon their subsequent return to 70F
you will begin to get some germination in 10 to 12 weeks.

If you visit my website, you will see that all of the Rosas are
multicycle germinators, and many of them are far more difficult
than R. multiflora.

I don't have any info specific to R. rugosa.

manytimes
tom
zone 5a, NE Illinois, -21F Minimum
http://www.anet-chi.com/~manytimes/