articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Ash borers targeting other ash family members

Record-setting 2096-lb pumpkin grown in Switzerland

16 year-old girls increase crop production 74%

First open-source seeds released!

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

Growing Hostas in Zone 10

Hello - I received this from someone in Zone 9, about growing Hostas in FL -
Cajun

---------------------

Hi,

I'm in Florida, Zone 9.  Mine are in complete shade because I figured
anywhere else they wouldn't be able to handle the heat.  I traded for them
at first so I wouldn't waste a lot of money buying them if they didn't like
it here.  I was surprised when I found the one at Home Depot.  When I first
planted them, they did nothing and went dormant very early for Florida
standards.  I thought that I lost them actually, but this year every one of
them came back.  The August Moon I traded for this year is not doing much
either, like the others didn't, so I'll have to wait and see next year.
Next year will be the second year for the first set....I'm hoping they are
like normal perennials and will take off on a growth spurt, then I will try
buying some of the larger blue ones that I want to try.

Some people swear I've got a microclimate here because I also grow lamb's
ears and a lot of zone 8 Northern Florida gardeners can't keep it alive.
So, who knows.  I'm just happy the hostas made it.  Now I'm on a quest to
grow Clematis and Bears Breeches.  The Bears Breeches I traded for is
already gone...not sure if it will come back next year or not.  The Clematis
is growing slowly, but it did flower this year.

Maybe you can try trading for some more
and trying again.