articles | gallery of plants | blog | plant profiles | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0

First open-source seeds released!

International Garden Photographer of the Year winners

Many gardeners attribute success to luck, not skill

Big, old trees make great carbon sinks

RSS story archive

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

Re: Night-blooming cereus

Yes, Marge, I think that is the proper name for the flat-leafed, spineless
"Night Blooming Cereus."

To prune, watch for the new basal growth that comes out quickly as round
(not flat) shoots.  If you pinch out the very tip of that shoot when it
reaches what you consider sufficient length (12 to 24 inches maybe), it
will cease elongation (it does apical elongation, not basal as in many
bulbs) and throw some lateral shoots.  These laterals will be flat leaves
and will bear the flower buds later.

Or you can just hack it down to stubs about 4 or 5 inches long, and let if
sit there and sulk for a couple of years.  After sulking, it will
eventually start to grow again.

Lots of fun!

Jim Shields
in central Indiana