Blooming amorpho's at Fairchild Garden

It is the season of blooming Amorphophallus tubers. We have almost finished
potting up the 2001 crop of amorphophallus tubers here at Fairchild's

So far in bloom have been:
    A. arnautovii
    A. yunnanensis
    A. prainii - really BAD smell about dusk
    A. salmoneus
    A. lambii - several bloomed, and an attempt was made at pollination. To
early to tell about success, but the old inflorescence is still upright and

In process of blooming:
    A. henryi - 5 coming in bloom
    A. gigas - it is now 61 inches tall and growing quickly. The tuber was
20 lbs. & 11 in. 3/27/01, when repotted; blooming: 4/4= 13"; 4/9=51";
4/10=61". There are 5 more tubers coming out of dormancy, but it is too soon
to tell if they are blooming.

Titan Watch: The largest Amorphophallus titanum is coming out of dormancy.
It has a 2" growth above the soil surface. While of course it is too early
to tell if it is blooming yet, the tuber had gained so much weight this year
that I expect it to flower. At least I hope. It put on 26 lbs. this year,
reaching a total of 68 lbs. It was 20" across. It is twice the size it was
when it bloomed in 1998. Several of the other large tubers haven't gone
dormant yet this year.

Craig M. Allen
Conservatory Manager
Fairchild Tropical Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road
Coral Gables(Miami), Florida, USA  33156-4296
Tel. 305-667-1651 ext. 3320
Fax 305-661-8953
e-mail callen@fairchildgarden.org
web: www.ftg.org