Re: Aroids in London

I was the person responsible for alerting aroiders to the joys of shopping at
Sri Lankan greengrocers! If you take the underground train to Tooting
Broadway (Northern line heading south) and turn left as you come out of the
station you will see about 4 or 5 greengrocers along about 2 blocks. They all
sell tubers of Amorph paeoniifolius of various sizes. Be warned they are very
heavy! Carrying 3 or 4 of these things around London is no joke.  Regarding
the countryside here, do not be too alarmed, only parks and trails likely to
cross farm land or otherwise approach hoofed animals are closed. There are
still lots of forests and parks you can happily walk in.

I dont know of anywhere near London with Amorphs other than Kew although
several places have nice aroids. If you have the time you should go to the
Wyld Court Rainforest in Hampstead Norreys, near Newbury, Berkshire (about 45
mins west of London by car). They have a good aroid collection and the grower
there - Myles Challis - is an aroid enthusiast. He is there Sunday to
Tuesday,ask for him and tell him I recommended him. If you want to give me a
call when you get here, feel free, I have sent my phone number to your
private email.
Best wishes,
Geoffrey Kibby