Re: Soil mix!!

  • Subject: Re: Soil mix!!
  • From: "Clarence Hammer" <chammer@cfl.rr.com>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 13:46:56 -0600 (CST)

I find for here in Florida, that straight Fafard mix, or any of the
peat-based mixes, are much too water retentive
for almost anything, even Philodendrons.  I do like Fafard 2B, which has
perlite and bark in it, but like their styrofoam mix better (2P?).  I mix
any of the peat based mixes with equal parts of perlite and finely ground
pine bark.  The bark may be hard to find in the north, but half or more of
perlite to a peat based mix is better than the peat by itself.  Just not
enough 'crunchy' stuff in it to provide the aeration that Aroids need.   I
would not
use sand of any kind in a Philodendron/Monstera/Anthurium mix personally.
But perhaps it is appropriate for
the Amorpho's.   Believe it or not, I have had good luck with equal parts
finely ground pine bark, cypress mulch,
and perlite, but you have to water it often.  This works in a very humid
climate like Fla where it can rain almost
every day for long stretches during the summer.  Roots rot quickly in a high
peat mix in these conditions.

Russ.