RE: Soil mix!!

  • Subject: RE: Soil mix!!
  • From: "Cooper, Susan L." <SLCooper@scj.com>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 15:22:05 -0600 (CST)

This discussion made me remember:
Last summer I rinsed some perlite in a bucket (I can't remember why at this
-senior- moment).  Draining the water off was difficult, I realized too late
I should have had a strainer.  I figured with the summer heat and the fact
that perlite is so good for drainage, the water would go to the bottom of
the bucket and I could pour it off easily. Also, I thought the perlite would
dry really fast in 90F.  Ha.
Wouldn't you know that didn't work, the perlite never did dry, after about a
week it developed a green tint and I ended up throwing it all out!
Made me wonder if perlite is as great for drainage as I thought.  It seems
to migrate to the top of my pots too.

Wish I could afford pumice!  Angel, that is supposed to be great for
drainage, but is quite pricey from what I hear, I've never used it.