Re: Soil mix!!

  • Subject: Re: Soil mix!!
  • From: "Clarence Hammer" <chammer@cfl.rr.com>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 10:36:51 -0600 (CST)

Thanks, Mark, for the recipe.  This is REALLY crunchy, and would work very well here where you can cut the humidity with a knife.
I've used orchid bark and charcoal in Aroid mixes with very good results.  A packaged orchid mix available here contains the bark,
charcoal, styrofoam, fern tree bark, and other neat stuff.  But it's too expensive to use on a large scale, unfortunately.
A Hoya grower on the Fla west coast grows fabulous Hoyas in nothing but cypress mulch and a little peat.

I am having success with a potting mix suggested by a grower of terresterial orchids consisting of fir bark, charcoal, perlite, pumice, coir, and long fiber sphagnum moss- I sometimes add some leaf mould or peat.  This mix deteriorates after a couple of years and must be replaced.
Mark Mazer