Pete Boyce's whereabouts and Aroideana

  • Subject: Pete Boyce's whereabouts and Aroideana
  • From: "Peter Boyce" <boyce@pothos.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 17:18:56 -0500 (CDT)

BlankHello All

A pleasant 'phone conversation with Scott yesterday made me realize that
while folks with whom I email regularly know about my recent decision to
quit Kew, many of you out there do not and, more importantly, those who do,
or have heard rumours, may well be wondering what impact my leaving Kew will
have on Aroideana. The answer, in short, to the last is absolutely none
whatsoever.

I've recently left Kew in order to pursue my botanical career in other
directions, in particular to undertake more consultancy work for
biologically-focussed NGOs (non-governmental organizations, e.g. WWF, WSC,
FFI, etc.) and, ultimately, to probably move full-time to tropical Asia. In
the short term I'm working in a local family-run nursery as a plant advisor
and ordering manager.

Preparation for the next issue of Aroideana is exactly as for previous
years, with the aim to be to have it published in time for the Fairchild
meeting in September. The deadline for papers was end of March and we're now
fully up to date on this. Having said that, I've just been asked to consider
an additional paper on Amorphophallus paeoniifolius cultivation in India,
which I was delighted to accept.

I have every intention (IAS Board willing) to continue editorship of
Aroideana for the foreseeable future and, even if I move to Phnom Penh (my
most likely base in Asia), with he ease of electronic communication and
courier (I present courier all proofs to and from Allen Press) I do not
envisage any difficulties in receiving contributions nor in editing the
journal anywhere in the world.

Best wishes

Pete

Peter Boyce