OT: Cochliostema (was Anthurium questions)

  • Subject: OT: Cochliostema (was Anthurium questions)
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@arachne.uark.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 11:38:47 -0500 (CDT)

Adam & Tim,

I'm very fond of Cochliostema. I saw C. odoratissimum several years ago,
and through the kindness of another member of this list was able to get
starts of two other species. C. jacobianum has sulked for me, but C.
velutina has been wonderful, flowering off and on throughout the year
(with one bigger flush of bloom yearly). It is fragrant, too, and the
2.5 cm flowers are almost gentian blue.

Mine have not "pupped", and I've love to learn how to persuade them to do
so. (And to acquire C. odoratissimum, which I still don't have. And to
discover why C. jacobianum, which apparently is normally the easier
species to grow, doesn't like me.)

I like the odd Commelinaceae in general - Siderasis fuscata is another
favorite - but Cochliostema has to be at the top of the list.

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@arachne.uark.edu