How big is big enough?

  • Subject: How big is big enough?
  • From: "Randall M. Story" <story@caltech.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 23:03:14 -0500 (CDT)

I'm curious if there is any interest in starting a discussion or compiling a
list as to what constitutes "blooming size" for various species.  I'm
thinking primarily of Amorphophallus and related stinky tuberous aroids,
although it need not be limited to these.

I realize that estimates depend on one's growing conditions, the particular
cultivar, luck, etc.  However even SOME guess as to when a particular plant
"might" bloom, with a size range or "ballpark" number would be useful, to me
at least.   It would be nice to know whether a particular tuber has a chance
of blooming at 1 inch or 4 inches or not till 8 inches in diameter!

This information seems particularly hard to find, even more so than
estimates of cold hardiness.

Do people think this is a good idea?  If there is any interest, people could
send me their experiences and if I get enough responses I could post a list
here.   I'm guessing that even a short list of the most commonly available
species could be useful to a lot of us.

A specific question I have at the moment:  how big does an A. bulbifer tuber
have to be to have some chance of blooming?

Randy Story