RE: Symplocarpus (skunk cabbage) queries

  • Subject: RE: Symplocarpus (skunk cabbage) queries
  • From: "MJ Hatfield" <mjhatfield@oneota.org>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 11:40:46 -0500 (CDT)

It probably would be best to transplant SC's
when dormant but I've always transplanted
in the spring (and just did so again yesterday)
and had excellent results.

I would chose medium sized plants simply
because of an easier transition.

I've seldom found plants setting seeds and when
I did, none of the seeds germinated for me. You have
to wonder why you don't see any young plants
at your friend's skunk cabbage location.

MJ Hatfield
middle of Iowa, usa