Re: Amorphophallus stories

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus stories
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 14:14:53 -0500 (CDT)

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 11:33 AM
Subject: Amorphophallus stories

Who mentioned anything about 'funny' or 'joke' ????  :--)>
>>In a message dated 4/21/02 10:54:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ju-bo@msn.com writes:

Dear Jim,

Watch out for flocks of vultures circling over your home, hoards of large
flesh-flies enveloping your entire green-house, and crowds of caped and
hooded neighbors with torches, clubs  and pitch-forks screaming at and
beating down your door!  :--)

Keep us informed of YOUR impressions of this weed-of-satans smell!!

This isn't just a joke.  I have a few Amorphophallus paeonifolius that bloom in my front yard every year.  One spring day I heard a racket on the roof of my porch.  I went outside to see a flock of vultures congregating on the roof.  They never actually came down to do a close inspection of the flower but it was enough to fool them this much.

I also used to have a neighbor who had a wonderful, friendly collie dog.  I knew this dog for years and never heard it bark at anything, ever.  One day my Amorphophallus was blooming when my neighbor came over with her dog, and the collie stared at the flower and began to bark at it.  It was very funny.

The first time this plant bloomed I was talking with another neighbor and she asked me if the sewers on the street had backed up.  Sometimes when they are blooming I am just too embarrassed by the odor and cover them up with paper bags so neighbors don't think its coming from my house.